The MARKOS Project is aimed to realize the prototype of a service and an interactive application providing an integrated view on the Open Source projects available the on web, focusing on functional, structural and licenses aspects of software code.
The First MARKOS Prototype is now available at http://demo.markosproject.eu/
You have now the opportunity to try the First MARKOS Prototype, test it and contribute to the development of MARKOS service providing your feedbacks.
To start testing MARKOS you just need a web browser.
MARKOS is an open source tool with a Web-based interface to inspect the code structure and possible license issues of Open Source Software available on public forges. MARKOS is based on source code lightweight fact extraction, heuristics to identify software dependencies, and automatic legal reasoning to identify license issues.
The MARKOS demonstrator is in its final development phase, and already support the following key features:
- Indexing and analysis of 630 Java OSS projects (for a total of 1,633 releases) available on forges such as Apache and SourceForge.
- Easy searching for specific components based on their type and on different kind of license compatibility constraints.
- Browsing and navigating of source code and dependencies across projects; for example, to follow the inheritance hierarchy across classes defined by different projects, to find projects that implements a specific API, to discover the provenance of a library and source code files.
- Coarse automatic license analyses, to quickly work out whether a project risks infringing the license of copied code or used libraries.
- Detailed analysis of license compatibility issues, providing developers and lawyers with tools for creating arguments from semantic models of copyright law, as well as visualising these arguments using argument maps.
- A linked data API that allows expert users and third-party applications to get RDF descriptions and to perform complex SPARQL queries for searching code information via MARKOS
Provide your Feedback
We have been developing MARKOS for a while. Now is your time to experiment and give us feedback or suggest improvements through the “Give us Feedback” link included in the Demo.
As the prototype is still under development, the number of analysed forges and projects cannot be huge and not all kind of data are available for all the projects. We do not ask you to evaluate the completeness of the information provided by the MARKOS prototype, but the utility of the offered features.
MARKOS on SourceForge
MARKOS Project software code is also available on SourceForge for download. Join the Community.
We are developing the support for additional forges and other programming languages other than Java. Also other additional features will come in the next months… Stay tuned to discover the novelties